Alpheton Parish Church of St. Peter and St. Paul is part of the Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich.
The Church is at the end of Church Lane, surrounded by farmland and next to Alpheton Hall. It is believed to date from the 10th century. Although there is no indication of its dedication prior to the Reformation, it probably served as a Chapel for the residents of the Hall.
The oldest artefact in the church is the base of the font, which has been established as dating from the 13th century. The porch is 15th century and the bells date back to the 18th, although they are now only two in number, the other two having been sold in 1780 to "pew the Church". Some of the choir stalls are of medieval origin. A number of them were made from oak trees grown in the grounds of the Old Rectory, now a private house. On the north side of the Nave are the remnants of a wall painting of St Christopher. Although the details are faded, the main outline can still be traced and an impression of the original, drawn in 1913 can be found nearby. The windows on the south side of the Nave contain some 15th century glass. The pulpit is Jacobean, though the base is modern. The back of the Priest's stall in the Chancel is composed of two misericords.
In 1934 the Church was in a very poor condition, with a crumbling tower and leaking roof. Thanks to the boundless energy of the then Rector, The Reverend Joe Williamson, who approached every person of note in the country, including members of the Royal Family, for funds, the restoration work was carried out. Among the contributors was Queen Mary who sent a toy black cat to be auctioned. Fate has intervened and the cat has been returned to the village. It is now framed and stands in the Church. Since the early efforts to raise funds, the work to maintain and enhance the fabric has continued and the latest undertaking has been the commissioning and installation of a new East Window to celebrate the Millennium. This shows Christ in modern farming clothes taking the Church and the village into the 21st century. He is surrounded by vignettes of scenes from East Anglian life, and includes one of Aefflaed doing her needlework. This is similar to a picture which hangs in Ely Cathedral over the tomb of her husband who was buried there. The window also incorporates nine diamonds, which were taken from the original window, and two Ms for the Millennium.
The Church is open every day for visitors during British Summer Time, and for Services on the first and third Sundays in the month.