View the video © suffolkaerialvideos
Alpheton is a small parish situated in a beautiful area of West Suffolk, on the A134 midway between Bury St.Edmunds and Sudbury. Bridge Street is a hamlet lying to the south of Alpheton, the northern part of which lies within the parish of Alpheton and the southern part of which lies within the parish of Long Melford. Unusually, all properties in the main part of Alpheton now have available FTTP (Fibre To The Premises) broadband with minimum download speeds of 72Mbps.
On this website we hope to provide all the information that you might need about Alpheton, whether you live here, or just want to find out more about the village and its community.
This photograph of Alpheton Church was taken 14 Oct 2014 by John Salmon. There are many fine photographs of Alpheton available for viewing at geograph.org.uk here
- Alpheton is a small but lively community. In March 2011 the population was 256. Visit Wikipedia for much more information.
- 2011 census statistics for Alpheton may be viewed here.
- If you are a family historian looking for the parish registers of baptisms, marriages and burials, the originals are deposited at Suffolk Record Office in Bury St Edmunds. Microfiche copies only may be viewed at any of the branches of Suffolk Record Office in Bury St Edmunds, Ipswich or Lowestoft. It is possible to purchase copies of the microfiche from Suffolk Record Office. Unfortunately there are no images of these records available online yet. Incomplete indexed transcripts are available on FamilySearch - baptisms marriages burials.
- For searchable indexes of births, marriages and deaths from 1837 onwards visit FreeBMD.
- Certificates of births, marriages and deaths from 1837 onwards may be purchased from the General Register Office.
- Transcripts and images of the 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 census are available online at FamilySearch, Ancestry, Findmypast and My Heritage. The census is the best resource for Alpheton research available online for the timeframe 1841-1911.